Login with facebook

ask me

useravatar
Jesse Paulk
Photographer
Tampa, Florida
16 Posts

Top ask me

about an image, about your portfolio, or anything else photo-related...

smile

useravatar
Kevlar Vest Girl
Photographer
Chicago, Illinois
1001 Posts

Top Re: ask me

I'm curious what you think of this image...

http://www.modelinsider.com/images/portfolio/thumb/2608/2608-5100986746efa.jpg

I like it, but I'm in a quandary regarding the aging aspect of the image. If the image had been made via an alt process around 100 years ago, everything about it would appear to be authentic. My assumption is that the image was made recently using a digital process to emulate both the alt process and aging effects you were seeking. I always feel like I'm cheating myself when I do stuff like that. Do you feel like that too, or do you feel like you're using acceptable tools in your digital toolkit?

useravatar
Jesse Paulk
Photographer
Tampa, Florida
16 Posts

Kevlar Vest Girl wrote:

I'm curious what you think of this image...

http://www.modelinsider.com/images/portfolio/thumb/2608/2608-5100986746efa.jpg

I like it, but I'm in a quandary regarding the aging aspect of the image. If the image had been made via an alt process around 100 years ago, everything about it would appear to be authentic. My assumption is that the image was made recently using a digital process to emulate both the alt process and aging effects you were seeking. I always feel like I'm cheating myself when I do stuff like that. Do you feel like that too, or do you feel like you're using acceptable tools in your digital toolkit?

Dude, i've missed you at MM.  so many wankers there with out any real passion for photography.

its all digital.

i'm experimenting by emulating the old processes that helped give so much more character to an image. my aim in it is to better understand what information the camera provides, what information viewers like to see, and hopefully grow more subtle techniques to help make better images, in-camera and in post..

is it cheating, a little.  i would love to actual have access to and learn the actual processes, but due to financial and environmental reasons i cant bring myself to do so.  i try and justify it as an expression of mixed media. as photographers we tend to get obsessed with technical things, and what is true to our craft. we forget that with out creative exploration, our craft is just meaningless automation.

hell, one of your old MM posts about the rbg channel separation encouraged me to stop questioning, and just keep experimenting.

and my thoughts about the image? i think its ok, model did great and is very happy with it.  i'm not completely satisfied with the techniques, but if i didn't stop, they would be waiting way to long for a finished image. client happy is the bottom line for this one.

PS- the op was meant for other people to ask for my critique on their work, but i enjoy this deviation for the norm.

useravatar
Kevlar Vest Girl
Photographer
Chicago, Illinois
1001 Posts

I didn't really have any questions about my stuff, and your post wasn't as clear as a sneak thief like me needs in order to avoid misinterpreting on purpose, so here we are.

I like the picture and I like your technique. There's really only one thing that stops me from loving the picture/technique, and it's something that has plagued me about digital from the beginning... if you could figure out a way to make the aging seem an integral part of the depth of the image, and not just some effects laid down on top of the image, well, I would probably love you long time.

useravatar
Jesse Paulk
Photographer
Tampa, Florida
16 Posts

hopefully your mixed feelings about this one is due to my attempt to match the technique and subject.  i tried to reflect and harmonize with the kind of retro-steampunkness of the leather work and hair style.

useravatar
Drew Tarter
Photographer
Biloxi, Mississippi
11 Posts

Hi, Jesse -

I'd like your thoughts on my work overall, or if you prefer, just give me some feedback on an image or images you like or don't think belongs in my portfolio.

Cheers,

Drew

useravatar
Jesse Paulk
Photographer
Tampa, Florida
16 Posts

Drew Tarter wrote:

Hi, Jesse -

I'd like your thoughts on my work overall, or if you prefer, just give me some feedback on an image or images you like or don't think belongs in my portfolio.

Cheers,

Drew

overall, uninspiring, but technically fine.  for future reference, if the models are looking to hard out of frame, it just breaks all connection we have with them.  if i want them looking out of frame, i have them face 45degrees, eyes straight ahead.  another way to call it is, try to keep the pupil in the center of the eye instead of the corners. of course there can be exceptions, but i think a couple of yours could have been greatly improved with bringing the gaze more into frame.

useravatar
Drew Tarter
Photographer
Biloxi, Mississippi
11 Posts

Thanks, Jesse -

I appreciate your insights, and for the most part, I think your critique is right on.

Thanks again,

Drew