Login with facebook

D800 Nikon Press Release

useravatar
Curtis Wood
Photographer
Logan, Utah
1638 Posts

Top D800 Nikon Press Release

-Nikon announced on Monday, February 6, 2012 their new professional D800 FX-format digital SLR camera. It will take pictures at a resolution of 36.3 megapixels which is the highest for any commercial DSLR camera.

http://z6mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/nikon-d800.jpg

-They developed the D800 so it will capture still images with great resolution and record movies in true high-definition. The Nikon camera will be able to film in full HD 1080p and will include the Advanced Recognition System used in Nikon’s top-of-the-range D4. Nikon D800 records QuickTime video in H.264 B-Frame format at 1080p30, 1080p24, 720p60, and 720p50.

-Nikon plans to release the D800E camera for those professionals that want complete control of their photos. It will allow you to disable some of the camera’s filter functions so light will hit the sensor directly and capture detail in images. Nikon says this function is used to take better landscape and artistic photography.

Nikon's Official Press Release:
http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0207_dslr_01.htm

- youtube video tour of D800

The big question is....Does Roger want one?   wink

Super calloused Fragile mystic Hexed by halitosis
Mary Poppins, I ain't!

TeamInsider member - PM me if you have any questions or visit us in the chat.

useravatar
Deardorff Photography
Photographer
Charlotte, North Carolina
853 Posts

Top Re: D800 Nikon Press Release

Street price seems to be in the neighborhood of $3000. As the upgrade to the D700, it looks like Nikon is moving this series out of the so-called "prosumer' market and targeting the professional market. It also raises the question of why buy a D4 at about $8K when this has greater image size and resolution (in the D700e model) at roughly half the price?

Beauty beheld is beauty never lost
- John Greenleaf Whittier
--------------------------------------------------
Team Insider member and Contest Administrator - get in touch if you have questions/comments

useravatar
Kevlar Vest Girl
Photographer
Chicago, Illinois
1001 Posts

From the Nikon press release i received this AM...

"Price and Availability

The Nikon D800 will be available in late March for the suggested retail price of $2999.95.* The D800E version will be available in mid April 2012 for a suggested retail price of $3,299.95.* For more information about these models, NIKKOR lenses and other D-SLR cameras please visit www.nikonusa.com."

I might just trade in my Canon's for two of these!

useravatar
Emeritus
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lounge Host
1191 Posts

Deardorff Photography wrote:

Street price seems to be in the neighborhood of $3000. As the upgrade to the D700, it looks like Nikon is moving this series out of the so-called "prosumer' market and targeting the professional market. It also raises the question of why buy a D4 at about $8K when this has greater image size and resolution (in the D700e model) at roughly half the price?

I can answer that question.

For people who do a lot of location work, or sports work, the D4 is far superior.  It's ability to deal with low light is better, its frame rate is a lot better.  But for the studio, I agree the D800 is a better choice.

useravatar
Curtis Wood
Photographer
Logan, Utah
1638 Posts

Emeritus wrote:

Deardorff Photography wrote:

I can answer that question.

For people who do a lot of location work, or sports work, the D4 is far superior.  It's ability to deal with low light is better, its frame rate is a lot better.  But for the studio, I agree the D800 is a better choice.

-that was my answer to John the other night as well Roger.

-now..... take a peek at my burning question above.   smile

Super calloused Fragile mystic Hexed by halitosis
Mary Poppins, I ain't!

TeamInsider member - PM me if you have any questions or visit us in the chat.

useravatar
Emeritus
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lounge Host
1191 Posts

Ah.

No, I don't want one.

Let me rephrase:  I'd be happy to own one, but really don't have a need for it.  99% of everything I do is either web use or printed no larger than 11x14 - and that not very often.  I don't have or want any commercial clients.  So all that resolution is just a waste of hard drive space for me.