Login with facebook

OMP

useravatar
msdarlyn
Female Model
Baltimore, N/A
45 Posts

Top OMP

Does anybody here still network there? I attempted to make networking on that site work for me but I don't think that I was doing it properly.

useravatar
Rick Gordon Photography
Photographer
Boynton Beach, Florida
549 Posts

Top Re: OMP

msdarlyn wrote:

Does anybody here still network there? I attempted to make networking on that site work for me but I don't think that I was doing it properly.

Hey there Miss Dee! Long time no see! I've noticed that you've changed your portfolio here quite a bit and have eliminated some darn good work that you have previously done. Your portfolio is poof *gone* from what I remembered. Likewise, you've lowered your comfort levels. I also note that you no longer have a presence on MM? What's up, m'friend as I was looking forward to shooting with you during the Spring Break upcoming?

That being said, I had a presence on OMP for years and though not currently there, it can be a very effective marketing tool for a model if used correctly. It can be quite confusing if you're not used to the site and it's basic layouts however. Many models that I actively worked with in assisting with bookings had between 10,000-15,000 hits to their portfolios in just the first two weeks of having a portfolio there. Out of all those hits, most received between 50-100 PM's inquiring about shooting, with the vast majority being TF offers from those assuming you're brand new to the biz and assume you wouldn't recognize a good offer if it bit you on the bottom! lol

You will also receive quite a few paid nude offers from the local GWC's regardless of your stated levels, a bunch of webcam offers, some adult ones, and on occasion the rarer decent offer. You've got to weed out the wheat from the chaff. Not much different than on MM or anywhere else I'd assume.

While you can have a profile there on a free basis, the ability to respond to any PM offers coming in is very limited at that level due to the number of responses you're allowed within the site, and having none via e-mail. If you do decide to have a online presence there, go to a minimum of bronze (paid) level where you can have a few more images, be listed higher in the searches, and most importantly be able to put up travel notices and to be able to respond to your inquiries directly via e-mail.

Also, if you go into your portfolio and change your main image everyday, you'll always have a presence on their main page. It makes a difference to the hits you'll receive. With internet marketing statistics, hits equate to PM's, which evolves into paid offers. If you stay on top of it, your portfolio on OMP should pay for itself and then some. If you don't then it won't. Just that simple.

Regards, and hope to see you this Spring! wink

useravatar
Rachel Jay
Female Model
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Site Host
404 Posts

I haven't used OMP for years.  The forums were dead years ago, and I never got responses to questions from anyone.  The chat was fun, but then they removed the ability for photographers with free accounts to use it, and there went all the fun people I talked with all the time (and thus everyone else).  Navigating the site was a pain in the ass, and it always bothered me that there were "features" available, but if I went to use them they were only available to paying members... drove me nuts that they even had the features clickable/showing to begin with (though I get the "upsell" idea, believe me).  And once I was no longer fresh meat, requests to shoot were few and far between.  All in all, OMP was a waste of my time.  Sure, I go there every so often to update my profile or upload new pics, but I never get work from there. 

I spend the majority of my time here, with MM following at a close second.  There are a handful of other sites: Green Martini, SuperShoots, Model Brigade, DazLurFashion (which renamed recently but I can't remember what to), PaidModels... the list goes on and on.  After MI and MM, I spend a little time over at GM, though I've never gotten work from there.  I've booked one shoot off SS.  I've not ever booked work on any of the other sites.

Largely, one could say you get out of it what you put in.  However, with OMP, I feel like it's more "you get something out of this site after you pony up for a premium account".

Rachel Jay
My Modeling Blog: Thoughts of a Hobbyist Model
My Style Blog: Suburban Style Challenge

I'm the Internet Modeling Forum Host here at MI smile
Feel free to ask me questions.

useravatar
msdarlyn
Female Model
Baltimore, N/A
45 Posts

Rick Gordon Photography wrote:

msdarlyn wrote:

Hey there Miss Dee! Long time no see! I've noticed that you've changed your portfolio here quite a bit and have eliminated some darn good work that you have previously done. Your portfolio is poof *gone* from what I remembered. Likewise, you've lowered your comfort levels. I also note that you no longer have a presence on MM? What's up, m'friend as I was looking forward to shooting with you during the Spring Break upcoming?

That being said, I had a presence on OMP for years and though not currently there, it can be a very effective marketing tool for a model if used correctly. It can be quite confusing if you're not used to the site and it's basic layouts however. Many models that I actively worked with in assisting with bookings had between 10,000-15,000 hits to their portfolios in just the first two weeks of having a portfolio there. Out of all those hits, most received between 50-100 PM's inquiring about shooting, with the vast majority being TF offers from those assuming you're brand new to the biz and assume you wouldn't recognize a good offer if it bit you on the bottom! lol

You will also receive quite a few paid nude offers from the local GWC's regardless of your stated levels, a bunch of webcam offers, some adult ones, and on occasion the rarer decent offer. You've got to weed out the wheat from the chaff. Not much different than on MM or anywhere else I'd assume.

While you can have a profile there on a free basis, the ability to respond to any PM offers coming in is very limited at that level due to the number of responses you're allowed within the site, and having none via e-mail. If you do decide to have a online presence there, go to a minimum of bronze (paid) level where you can have a few more images, be listed higher in the searches, and most importantly be able to put up travel notices and to be able to respond to your inquiries directly via e-mail.

Also, if you go into your portfolio and change your main image everyday, you'll always have a presence on their main page. It makes a difference to the hits you'll receive. With internet marketing statistics, hits equate to PM's, which evolves into paid offers. If you stay on top of it, your portfolio on OMP should pay for itself and then some. If you don't then it won't. Just that simple.

Regards, and hope to see you this Spring! wink

I removed the vast majority of my images because I recently changed my look (straightened my hair). I shot a few images with my new hair but they were pretty bad. I just received edits from a recent shoot that I may post soon.

useravatar
msdarlyn
Female Model
Baltimore, N/A
45 Posts

Rachel Jay wrote:

I haven't used OMP for years.  The forums were dead years ago, and I never got responses to questions from anyone.  The chat was fun, but then they removed the ability for photographers with free accounts to use it, and there went all the fun people I talked with all the time (and thus everyone else).  Navigating the site was a pain in the ass, and it always bothered me that there were "features" available, but if I went to use them they were only available to paying members... drove me nuts that they even had the features clickable/showing to begin with (though I get the "upsell" idea, believe me).  And once I was no longer fresh meat, requests to shoot were few and far between.  All in all, OMP was a waste of my time.  Sure, I go there every so often to update my profile or upload new pics, but I never get work from there. 

I spend the majority of my time here, with MM following at a close second.  There are a handful of other sites: Green Martini, SuperShoots, Model Brigade, DazLurFashion (which renamed recently but I can't remember what to), PaidModels... the list goes on and on.  After MI and MM, I spend a little time over at GM, though I've never gotten work from there.  I've booked one shoot off SS.  I've not ever booked work on any of the other sites.

Largely, one could say you get out of it what you put in.  However, with OMP, I feel like it's more "you get something out of this site after you pony up for a premium account".

I was on ModelBrigade before but deactivated my account. I received one paying gig offer from a GWC but I declined it since I'm focused on building a good portfolio. I will have to check out those other sites that you mentioned, thanks!

useravatar
A M Johnson
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
394 Posts

My take on a couple of modeling sites is as follows:

Model Brigade- way too difficult to use. A total failure.

OMP- same plus too costly for the same thing elsewhere.

iStudio- simple and easy to use but no traffic.

Las Vegas Model Network- good but too local for the rest of you (LVMN is based on Ning)

Sorry to say but most people network on Facebook as crappy as it is.

Web Site and blog at Cafe1956.com Follow me on Twitter I'm shooting mostly film these days...

useravatar
msdarlyn
Female Model
Baltimore, N/A
45 Posts

A M Johnson wrote:

My take on a couple of modeling sites is as follows:

Model Brigade- way too difficult to use. A total failure.

OMP- same plus too costly for the same thing elsewhere.

iStudio- simple and easy to use but no traffic.

Las Vegas Model Network- good but too local for the rest of you (LVMN is based on Ning)

Sorry to say but most people network on Facebook as crappy as it is.

I used to be on Model Brigade also but it was useless. FB has been effective for me.

useravatar
Mike Ferris
Photographer
St Louis, Missouri
9 Posts

I feel sites such as Model Insider and iStudio are infinitely better than MM and OMP. The problem as I see it is that people are not aware of these sites.

useravatar
SLE Photography
Photographer
Arnold, Maryland
Site Host
2567 Posts

Mike Ferris wrote:

I feel sites such as Model Insider and iStudio are infinitely better than MM and OMP. The problem as I see it is that people are not aware of these sites.

iStudio is an entirely owned subsidiary of OMP, but they've done an awful job of marketing it.  We're working on the awareness thing here.  big_smile

I am a Model Insider site admin, please feel free to PM me with any site related issues, or for faster response contact our team via the Helpdesk

James Glendinning / SilverLight Esoterica Photography / SLE Photography

useravatar
A M Johnson
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
394 Posts

SLE Photography wrote:

Mike Ferris wrote:

iStudio is an entirely owned subsidiary of OMP, but they've done an awful job of marketing it.  We're working on the awareness thing here.  big_smile

iStudio could be the next great networking site if it was marketed properly, or at all. big_smile

Web Site and blog at Cafe1956.com Follow me on Twitter I'm shooting mostly film these days...

useravatar
SLE Photography
Photographer
Arnold, Maryland
Site Host
2567 Posts

A M Johnson wrote:

iStudio could be the next great networking site if it was marketed properly, or at all. big_smile

I think it could have had a shot.  Now? Not so much, due to infrastructure, management, and technology deficiencies.  Obvious bias aside I think we realistically have a better shot.

I am a Model Insider site admin, please feel free to PM me with any site related issues, or for faster response contact our team via the Helpdesk

useravatar
A M Johnson
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
394 Posts

SLE Photography wrote:

A M Johnson wrote:

I think it could have had a shot.  Now? Not so much, due to infrastructure, management, and technology deficiencies.  Obvious bias aside I think we realistically have a better shot.

I don't see any of that in iStudio. MI had it's chance two years ago and passed it over.

useravatar
Rachel Jay
Female Model
Site Host
404 Posts

A M Johnson wrote:

There's an Illinois Modeling Network and a FL version, all of which are, I believe, sort of "networked" together. 

I joined IMN.  Complete waste of time IMO.  For a new model, it might be ok as a "foot in the door, meet some people, get some pics" kinda thing, but otherwise, all they did were "themed" TF* group shoot events (where the theme was optional too, which made little sense to me).  At this point, stuff like that is a waste of time for me, and even new models outgrow it very quickly.  And as far as group shoots like that being a networking tool?  Not really.  Many of the photographers that attend them go to work with a ton of pretty girls for little to no money.  The chances of them booking a model they've already worked with, that they worked TF* with (IF they provided images afterwards, that is), are slim to none unless that model is going to get naked.  So once you've outgrown it, you're back at square one of finding work at the level you're at.

At least that's how it is in this area.

Rachel Jay

useravatar
A M Johnson
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
394 Posts

It sounds like they are different things. The one here is like a portfolio/modeling site like MI or whatever. What you are talking about sounds like some Meeetup groups here.

useravatar
Rachel Jay
Female Model
Site Host
404 Posts

A M Johnson wrote:

It sounds like they are different things. The one here is like a portfolio/modeling site like MI or whatever. What you are talking about sounds like some Meeetup groups here.

There's a portfolio site for it as well (hosted at Ning as well), but the design is atrocious, and it's a pain to use.

Very "meetup group" like, yes.

Rachel Jay

useravatar
SLE Photography
Photographer
Arnold, Maryland
Site Host
2567 Posts

A M Johnson wrote:

I don't see any of that in iStudio. MI had it's chance two years ago and passed it over.

If it's a matter of chances coming once then iStudio's done too. But its software's essentially a clone of MM's, with very few tools beyond what MM had two years ago, and an underdeveloped infrastructure simply because they've never needed to build it up.  We could drop 200k members in here tomorrow without blinking, I doubt they could.  As for their management, like I said they're owned by OMP and the fumbling that's already occurred should prove my point.
Don't count us out quite yet.   big_smile

useravatar
A M Johnson
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
394 Posts

I don't know how to respond to this. In the mean time, I'll just shake my head.

useravatar
P I X I E
Female Model
Montréal
76 Posts

The one offer I got from OMP was this TERRIBLE (and I mean TERRIBLE) photographer offering me $15 for one hour of nudes on Polaroid. When I quoted him my rates he got all offended, tried to get me to shoot topless instead, then after getting shot down again, tried to get me to refer him models.

I haven't logged in in years.

useravatar
Portfolio Plus
Photographer
Jacksonville, Florida
210 Posts

SLE Photography wrote:

A M Johnson wrote:

If it's a matter of chances coming once then iStudio's done too. But its software's essentially a clone of MM's, with very few tools beyond what MM had two years ago, and an underdeveloped infrastructure simply because they've never needed to build it up.  We could drop 200k members in here tomorrow without blinking, I doubt they could.  As for their management, like I said they're owned by OMP and the fumbling that's already occurred should prove my point.
Don't count us out quite yet.   big_smile

Make it fun and they will come.

More importantly, and this is where the ball was dropped IMO, they will stay.

useravatar
Visfoto
Photographer
Knoxville, Tennessee
21 Posts

I recently joined OMP, just because I'm joining every site to build my own little empire, er, network.

Very difficult to navigate OMP.

I did a google search because OMP's search is useless, unless I really want to see 2,000 listings in 7 states. I'm finding a few of my old friends from MM also on OMP. Those are the pros who market full-time and model full-time. So I'm setting up a shoot in a couple of months when she's back in town. She's also on this site and Facebook, plus a website.

OMP only lists 45 photogs in a 7-state area for TN.

I think FB is becoming the models' marketing monster.

useravatar
Emeritus
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lounge Host
1191 Posts

Visfoto wrote:

It is.  The vast majority of the work I do is set up through facebook, and I have nearly 200 local models in my fb friends list, most interested in shooting with me pretty much whenever I like.

useravatar
Visfoto
Photographer
Knoxville, Tennessee
21 Posts

Emeritus wrote:

Visfoto wrote:

It is.  The vast majority of the work I do is set up through facebook, and I have nearly 200 local models in my fb friends list, most interested in shooting with me pretty much whenever I like.

Yeah my last shoot was originally from MM but all correspondence moved to FB.

I've got a few problems with FB, like  suspending my account 30 days because I friended somebody I allegedly never actually met (but corresponded with and talked with on the phone). That apparently confuses the NSA's Skynet for targeting Terminator Predator drones.

FB allows 5,000 friends max, then must move to "biz" accounts with unlimited likes but no friends. What's the diff since both are nothing more than links on a webpage?

I got booted from MM for replying on-topic to a forum thread, then getting attacked for posting a single link to a NY Times article, and quoting another published book. I was personally attacked, and vicious hatespeech was directed at a group of innocent people seeking their rapes and deaths, which I protested. This type of discussion is what's makes forums interesting with high view counts. I have a webpage on this same topic, quoting these same corporate documents, that gets 500,000 hits per month, and is my most popular. Yet MM banned me and kept the boring liars spewing hatespeech and promoting pedophile rape, while its own owners are suing each other for million-dollar contract fraud for lack of view counts and MM's refusal to prevent rape of 50 models. My one thread comment on MM could have paid MM the entire cost of their lawsuit by view counts, but their mods just HAD to ban me, then delete my comment from the thread (NY Times link). Identical comments I post on other forums like FB have no such problem with censorship. MM FAIL

Haven't tested OMP. Probably never will.

http://cdn.followpics.com/show/92323861081897419_j5TBCSNt_c.jpg

useravatar
msdarlyn
Female Model
Baltimore, N/A
45 Posts

I can't do MM anymore at ALL.