Login with facebook

Approaching non models to model.

useravatar
AMMODPHOTO
Photographer
Troy, Missouri
3 Posts

Top Approaching non models to model.

I would like to hear experiences and opinions from photographers who have done this and from models both before and after they started modeling.

1st. Is there a way to approach an attractive woman in public (as in at a restaurant, store, or club) and ask her if she would be interested in doing a photo shoot with you without sounding like your hitting on her or being creepy?

2nd. What if there are multiple women in a group, but you’re only interested in photographing 1 or 2 of them.

3rd what if the woman appears to be with her husband or boyfriend.

useravatar
Kevlar Vest Girl
Photographer
Chicago, Illinois
1001 Posts

Top Re: Approaching non models to model.

AMMODPHOTO wrote:

(as in at a restraint, store, or club)

It might be your underlying nature that's creating a problem for you when approaching strange women.

useravatar
S230
Photographer
Toronto, N/A
3 Posts

AMMODPHOTO wrote:

I would like to hear experiences and opinions from photographers who have done this and from models both before and after they started modeling.

1st. Is there a way to approach an attractive woman in public (as in at a restraint, store, or club) and ask her if she would be interested in doing a photo shoot with you without sounding like your hitting on her or being creepy?

2nd. What if there are multiple women in a group, but you’re only interested in photographing 1 or 2 of them.

3rd what if the woman appears to be with her husband or boyfriend.

I've done this for both personal portfolio and publishing shoot in the past and had no problem.  It comes down to time of day, location, how you approach, how you present yourself and your intention.  It also helps if you provide them your ID, business card and portfolio.

If there is multiple women, address to everyone and specify what you are looking for and reason.  If you don't explain clearly it may offenend those you don't intend in the shoot.  Try offer some quick photos of everyone before working one on one with the model you want to photograph.

If the woman appears to be with husband or boyfriend, this should not matter if your intent is truly photography.  you shoud be treating all models the same with or without boyfriend or husband.  Approach and introduce yourself.  even offer a couple shot. smile

hope these pointers help.

useravatar
AMMODPHOTO
Photographer
Troy, Missouri
3 Posts

Sorry, didn't catch the spell check mistake. I presume the underlying nature was in reference to my miss spelling of restaurant.

useravatar
Kevlar Vest Girl
Photographer
Chicago, Illinois
1001 Posts

AMMODPHOTO wrote:

Sorry, didn't catch the spell check mistake. I presume the underlying nature was in reference to my miss spelling of restaurant.

Or the correct spelling of restraint.

useravatar
shadetree photography
Photographer
carlisle, Kentucky
9 Posts

some women are flattered,some offended,some assume the worst about your intentions(they listened to their mothers when she said dont talk to strangers) and some jump at the opportunity.law of averages says,1 in 4 will shoot with you.have fun getting slapped or having the law called on you the rest of the time.

useravatar
AMMODPHOTO
Photographer
Troy, Missouri
3 Posts

Thank you all for your responses. SOME were very helpful.