Login with facebook

HDR... Can it be subtle enough?

useravatar
Kevlar Vest Girl
Photographer
Chicago, Illinois
1001 Posts

Top HDR... Can it be subtle enough?

I love using HDR techniques to gain as much picture information as I can from an image. I really love taking a potentially mundane image and turning it into something my clients are impressed with. I use every tool at my disposal to attain my goal, and it's surprising how much I learn from almost every exercise. For instance, with this image, using a new breed of tone masking I discovered, I combined 3 separate HDR tone maps into one final image. I love the resultant image, but I am left with a question about it. I abhor most of the HDR work I see because it's so obviously over filtered. Does this one look over filtered, did I go too far?

http://www.modelinsider.com/images/portfolio/thumb/206/206-4ee39fad1d73d.jpg

useravatar
Rick Gordon Photography
Photographer
Boynton Beach, Florida
547 Posts

Top Re: HDR... Can it be subtle enough?

I love this shot Bob and your new Av is totally off the chain...amazing work! I'd kill to be able to get skies like that into my images, so I'm envious and in awe. You set the bar very high for us mere mortals.

In the image you are asking about I don't think it's too overdone, perhaps it's just me, but the horizontal fencepost in the foreground seems a bit "off"...almost painted in texture in comparison to it's surroundings. Everything else in the image is crisp and clear. Far be it from me with my limited skills to critique your work, but that's what it looks like to me.

useravatar
Kevlar Vest Girl
Photographer
Chicago, Illinois
1001 Posts

I went in and looked at the high res, and there is something a little funky with the fence post... possibly a focus issue, or possibly an affectation of the masking. Mostly I'm concerned with having taken the tome mapping too far. So far the clients like it, but I'm looking for a broader range of support before I start marketing this type of work.

useravatar
cherrystone
Photographer
Columbus, Ohio
99 Posts

I'm of the same opinion with a lot of HDR work, however this looks good IMHO.

Funny, before I looked at your second post, I will say the rail & post caught my eye slightly, but not overtly.

I don't know who you have, or how discriminating your clientele might be, a lot of folks just don't see things the same way as someone more acqauinted with spotting the nuances of a particular image.

useravatar
Kevlar Vest Girl
Photographer
Chicago, Illinois
1001 Posts

cherrystone wrote:

I'm of the same opinion with a lot of HDR work, however this looks good IMHO.

Funny, before I looked at your second post, I will say the rail & post caught my eye slightly, but not overtly.

I don't know who you have, or how discriminating your clientele might be, a lot of folks just don't see things the same way as someone more acqauinted with spotting the nuances of a particular image.

When it comes to ad agency or design firm clients, there is never any telling what they will comment on. More often than not, they feel a need to "fix" something to validate their job, so they'll pick some obscure little detail they want modified, but they won't even notice a giant turd in the middle of the shot. Most of the clients I work with are long term with me, and those folks are on the same page as I am. The newer, younger clients seem to be the less predictable.