Register

Sign In

Login with facebook

John Casablancas...

useravatar
GK
Offline
Photographer
Greensboro, North Carolina
158 Posts

Top John Casablancas...

Models, (or anyone else) are any of you familiar with this....what do I call it, Is it a modeling school? or talent agency?
was it worth the cost?
Just curious.   hmm

useravatar
Rick Gordon Photography
Offline
Photographer
Boynton Beach, Florida
549 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

The portfolio mills such as John Casablancas, et al are far more concerned about selling a nOOb/wannabee images for her portfolio and generating income from the classes than they ever are in actually developing careers. Any nOOb out there will fare far better putting up starter portfolios on MM and OMP and doing as much TF as possible with quality shooters than laying out the money with the portfolio mills.

useravatar
Emeritus
Offline
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lounge Host
1191 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

This article tells you what you need to know, but you really ought to read the whole site.

useravatar
doc-Deutschmann
Offline
Photographer
Toledo, Ohio
18 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

I never got the pint with modelling schools anyway.
If an agency is interested in someone modelling for them (I hear JC people are approaching kids at the mall...) they will more likely make sure there will be some pictures to show to their clients. Once they get you booked, they earn. Why should a model pay for this?
If they do not have ANY pictures yet find some TFP/Test/Pola-Meet-and-Greet - that should get them going...

Personally I think JC is pretty worthless to models. (Read: "I agree with Rick")

doc.

useravatar
Rachel Jay
Offline
Female Model
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Site Host
404 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

You call John Casablancas a "waste of time and money, and not even remotely worth it" as well as "something to stay away from".

Read www.newmodels.com as Emeritus suggested.

Rachel Jay
My Modeling Blog: Thoughts of a Hobbyist Model
My Style Blog: Suburban Style Challenge

I'm the Internet Modeling Forum Host here at MI smile
Feel free to ask me questions.

useravatar
doc-Deutschmann
Offline
Photographer
Toledo, Ohio
18 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

Emeritus' article covers it all. I was still typing while he posted the URL.

useravatar
GK
Offline
Photographer
Greensboro, North Carolina
158 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

Just had a very nasty meeting with a young lady and her "manager", centered on this topic...
I provided the link to the article  and we pulled it up on our laptops, I think the young man has comprehension problems, his reply was "Whats this got to do with me starting a modeling school?, I already got some girls."
At that point I asked him if he was a pimp.(He sounded like a pimp to me..)
The young lady assumed I was calling her a "ho" (I didnt mean to offend her)
Im to old for this.

useravatar
Emeritus
Offline
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lounge Host
1191 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

The purpose of a modeling school is to take money from the "models".  If that is his purpose, there is no reason not to do it.  It likely will work, and he will make money.

If, on the other hand, his purpose is to actually help models, then a "modeling school" is a terrible way to do it.

useravatar
Desiree Nicole
Offline
Female Model
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

Gary Knotts Urban Photo wrote:

Just had a very nasty meeting with a young lady and her "manager", centered on this topic...
I provided the link to the article  and we pulled it up on our laptops, I think the young man has comprehension problems, his reply was "Whats this got to do with me starting a modeling school?, I already got some girls."
At that point I asked him if he was a pimp.(He sounded like a pimp to me..)
The young lady assumed I was calling her a "ho" (I didnt mean to offend her)
Im to old for this.

Gary,I warned you he was ghetto! lol

useravatar
Desiree Nicole
Offline
Female Model
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

Emeritus wrote:

The purpose of a modeling school is to take money from the "models".  If that is his purpose, there is no reason not to do it.  It likely will work, and he will make money.

If, on the other hand, his purpose is to actually help models, then a "modeling school" is a terrible way to do it.

you right! he just wants to make money, glad i walked away.  cool

useravatar
GK
Offline
Photographer
Greensboro, North Carolina
158 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

Desiree Nicole wrote:

Gary Knotts Urban Photo wrote:

Just had a very nasty meeting with a young lady and her "manager", centered on this topic...
I provided the link to the article  and we pulled it up on our laptops, I think the young man has comprehension problems, his reply was "Whats this got to do with me starting a modeling school?, I already got some girls."
At that point I asked him if he was a pimp.(He sounded like a pimp to me..)
The young lady assumed I was calling her a "ho" (I didnt mean to offend her)
Im to old for this.

Gary,I warned you he was ghetto! lol

Yes,you did...I should have heeded your warning.

useravatar
Tori Marie
Offline
Female Model
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
5 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

For starting out with pictures and being comfortable with being in fron of the camera yea!
But Im wondering that too in a way .. would u call it a scam? cause really agencies and stuff dont care about the school
But then too it is great on training to put on the resume

useravatar
Emeritus
Offline
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lounge Host
1191 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

Tori Marie wrote:


But then too it is great on training to put on the resume


Nooooooo!


Never put Casablancas or any other modeling school on a resume.  Ever.

First, models do not have resumes.  Well, promotional "models" do, but that's it. 

Second, actors do have resumes, but putting something like a modeling school training course on it is a sure fire way to get rejected.  And models who do tell people in the industry that they got sucked in to paying that kind of money for "modeling school classes" will get a range of reactions, but none of them are good.

useravatar
Tori Marie
Offline
Female Model
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
5 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

Thank you for that one is there any more advice u can give me ?

useravatar
Emeritus
Offline
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lounge Host
1191 Posts

Top Re: John Casablancas...

Tori Marie wrote:

Thank you for that one is there any more advice u can give me ?

Sure.  Start with my website:  www.newmodels.com

Lots of advice there.