Login with facebook

Tethered Shooting Software

useravatar
Deardorff Photography
Photographer
Charlotte, North Carolina
855 Posts

Top Tethered Shooting Software

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this company's tethered shooting package for Nikon bodies? OxfordEye.Co.Uk  Price seems awfully good compared to the Nikon package.  Thanks in advance.

Beauty beheld is beauty never lost
- John Greenleaf Whittier
--------------------------------------------------
Team Insider member and Contest Administrator - get in touch if you have questions/comments

useravatar
John Rayner
Photographer
Rapid City, South Dakota
1325 Posts

Top Re: Tethered Shooting Software

If you shoot with you camera mounted on a tripod then shooting tethered might be worthwhile.  If you shoot handheld, then shooting tethered is reminicent of shooting with a PC cord. The only difference is the cord is shorter and a computer will hit the floor when you trip on the cord.

At one time I was looking at one of those bluetooth memory cards, that will automatically send your shots to a computer without the trip hazard. At the time, the cards didn't have the most positive feedback. Mostly limited range and high directionality.

useravatar
Deardorff Photography
Photographer
855 Posts

Thanks for your opinion about shooting tethered but that really wasn't my question - I was looking for someone to reply who had used the software with their experiences and opinions of it.

Team Insider member and Contest Administrator - get in touch if you have questions/comments

useravatar
John Rayner
Photographer
Rapid City, South Dakota
1325 Posts

That was the closest I could get John. sorry if it wasn't what you where looking for.

useravatar
Curtis Wood
Photographer
Logan, Utah
1638 Posts

-I have not used the software you’re looking at, but I use Canon's software and like it. I did look through the specs of the software including the pictures and it looks like a very nice feature packed piece of software. It has a lot of correction capability similar to Adobe's Camera Raw and Lightroom.

-Here are a few alternatives to look at and play with if you like. The first is a "Free Script" that works with Nikon and Adobe Bridge from DIYPhotoBits.com. This video is a little old, but you can go to their site and get the newer script:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbAIC_p3lzo

-Also, Adobe's Lightroom comes with tethering capability and can be used with almost any tetherable camera. You can download Lightroom as a trial for 30 days to see if you like it here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Super calloused Fragile mystic Hexed by halitosis
Mary Poppins, I ain't!

TeamInsider member - PM me if you have any questions or visit us in the chat.

useravatar
Deardorff Photography
Photographer
855 Posts

Thanks for the info, Curt - I don't have an upcoming situation where I can try things (next couple are outdoor, location shoots) so I'll be doing some more investigation of options.  Eager to try it though, I can imagine some distinct advantages of having a larger image immediately for review.

useravatar
WestOUT Photography
Photographer
Grapevine, Texas
9 Posts

I am in the same boat as Curtis.  I am a Canon user and their software is hand and foot the best way to work with a Canon camera.  I still am perplexed why Nikon has not taken the same steps.

Canon's software is free and it allows you to capture, print and convert your images.  They offer a few installs to get it working but they also offer free updates.  I think Nikon users should start to pose the question to Nikon why they are not offering a similar package for their camera's as Canon for free.

Best of luck and no need to wait for a photo op to test software as that is the last chance to do it.  I suggest setting up the software and shooting a can, couch, stuffed animal or anything else as test subjects to work through the software flow and see if it works for your flow.  That at the end of the day is what matters most.

We all have different work flows and each software is going to have strengths and weaknesses.  It is a matter of finding what works best.

Calvin H.
WestOUT Photography

useravatar
Creative Wyoming
Photographer
Sheridan, Wyoming
7 Posts

I have used Lightroom 3 with my Canon 7D, and have simple added a 15' USB extension to the standard USB cable that came with the camera. I use a twist tie to attach the cable to my camera strap, and another at the junction of the two cables. As long as I don't trip over the cables, I have found it to be a fine solution.

useravatar
John Rayner
Photographer
Rapid City, South Dakota
1325 Posts

I shot one day hand held using a PC cord. Never again. If the camera is wired, then it is on a tripod. IMHO.

useravatar
Curtis Wood
Photographer
Logan, Utah
1638 Posts

-here is a somewhat related thread I started on controller software for Android OS and Canon. Soon to be available for Nikon and Pentax.

http://www.modelinsider.com/forums/topi … 138#p29138

Super calloused Fragile mystic Hexed by halitosis
Mary Poppins, I ain't!

TeamInsider member - PM me if you have any questions or visit us in the chat.

useravatar
Gary Knotts
Photographer
Lilesville, North Carolina
166 Posts
useravatar
Paul Rupp
Photographer
Huntington Beach, California
31 Posts

I don't know if your still looking, but take a look at this software. I use it with my Canon's and it works very well and give you lots of control options.

I have no interest in this company nor do I work there. http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/d … ra-remote/

Paul

useravatar
Sichenze Photography
Photographer
Front Royal, Virginia
6 Posts

I use Aperture 3 or Capture One and I just got LR3 that has the same feature of tethered shooting.  Capture one has the ability to use bluetooth to turn your ipad into a remote viewer too. That is really neat.  I have not used your linked software though.

useravatar
Fred Gerhart
Photographer
San Antonio, Texas
1 Posts

www.DIYPHOTOBITS.com website contains an exploit hack which fortunately AVG successfully blocked. Do not visit that site.