Register

Sign In

Login with facebook

Shooters in NYC, will new fees affect you?

useravatar
SLE Photography
Photographer
Arnold, Maryland
Site Host
2557 Posts

Top Shooters in NYC, will new fees affect you?

I just caught this story that NYC is going to take formerly free permits for filming & start charging $300.  They mention this's for anything requiring a tripod, crew, etc, and they're talking about film & video but it sounds like this will affect stills too.  Have you all heard about it?  Are you expecting it to affect you?  Anyone think it'll lead to more guerrilla shooting?

I am a Model Insider site admin, please feel free to PM me with any site related issues, or for faster response contact our team via the Helpdesk

James Glendinning / SilverLight Esoterica Photography / SLE Photography

useravatar
gpmcguire
Photographer
Brooklyn, New York
741 Posts

Top Re: Shooters in NYC, will new fees affect you?

Just heard about this -- it seems it is geared more towards all the major productions and all the Law and Order shows shot here.

I shoot Guerrilla anyway so it's not going to affect me till someone stops me anyway.

However the tripod part has me concerned - are they going to fine tourists who use a tripod?
I'm sure some over zealous cop might jump on this.

Going to be an interesting summer now.

useravatar
Curtis Wood
Photographer
Logan, Utah
1637 Posts

holy crap...

:-)

Super calloused Fragile mystic Hexed by halitosis
Mary Poppins, I ain't!

TeamInsider member - PM me if you have any questions or visit us in the chat.

useravatar
John Rayner
Photographer
Rapid City, South Dakota
1325 Posts

sounds like the Big apple is really going after the money. I am sure glad I am far from there when this is concerned.

useravatar
P I X I E
Female Model
Montréal
76 Posts

What da hell?

useravatar
jwb imagery
Photographer
Hot Springs, Arkansas
183 Posts

Let me think.

Could it be just a money grubbing bunch of city fathers.

Maybe another civil rights grab in the name of protecting the land of the free.

Will it be abused as a means for some law enforcement types to harass professional photographers and some shutterbug tourists.

Sadly I fear is will be all three before it is over.  Another one of our rights slowly fading away....     

Personal impact as of this time little or none, but fear it may be a portent of the future for all of us.

useravatar
Joe Fogg Photography
Photographer
Des Moines, Iowa
253 Posts

I find this very interesting because it finds its way to the central area states with in a few years and Iowa has just had one hell of a film industry shake up over abused goverment incentives to draw movie makers here. They say its for the budget but everyone knows goverment sucks at handleing money anyway and I think they just found another wallet to suck money out of...

http://www.joefogg.com
Your Best Image Is My Only Goal

useravatar
John Rayner
Photographer
Rapid City, South Dakota
1325 Posts

Joe Fogg Photography wrote:

I find this very interesting because it finds its way to the central area states with in a few years and Iowa has just had one hell of a film industry shake up over abused goverment incentives to draw movie makers here. They say its for the budget but everyone knows goverment sucks at handleing money anyway and I think they just found another wallet to suck money out of...

Too bad my wallet is empty Joe. I guess they just have to suck big time.

useravatar
Emeritus
Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lounge Host
1191 Posts

gpmcguire wrote:

However the tripod part has me concerned - are they going to fine tourists who use a tripod?

The wording is hardly a model of clarity, but as I read it, you can use a tripod without needing a permit.

I don't think this will affect most still photographers (those who don't use props or extensive equipment or sets, which is pretty much all of us) at all.

useravatar
gpmcguire
Photographer
Brooklyn, New York
741 Posts

Emeritus wrote:

gpmcguire wrote:

The wording is hardly a model of clarity, but as I read it, you can use a tripod without needing a permit.

I don't think this will affect most still photographers (those who don't use props or extensive equipment or sets, which is pretty much all of us) at all.

That makes sense.
As long as you aren't gathering a crowd then the cops probably won't bother you, which is the way its always been.

And recently here in NYC in both the construction industry and the Real Estate business the city has been adding new rules straight across the board and adding fees to it, so I am gathering this new fee is just along those lines to make a buck for the city.

useravatar
MC Electric
Photographer
New York
4 Posts

It's very easy to get a permit. The permit office does everything they can to make it as easy as possible for people to shoot. For this to end up being a big problem it would have to be a major philosophical shift, which if they're talking about one fee for any number of days of shooting, it's not.

The rules for when you need a permit are a little odd. It's not worded this simple, but it translates to the moment you've got more than one stand, you need a permit. So a tripod and a softbox on a stand needs a permit, but if you have a person holding the softbox, no permit is needed.

In a lot of cases NYC laws are oriented around emergency services access. I don't know if this is connected, but when all the equipment is handheld, an area can be cleared as fast as people can walk.

I doubt it will increase guerilla shooting, since most doesn't require a permit in the first place.

My landlord requires a million dollar liability policy, so I have one. My insurance company provides a little to the city one a year naming them an an additional insured so it's on file any time I need a permit which has only ended up being once.

I'm shooting a sitcom in a couple of weeks for part of a festival and they producer is saying "we're going to do all the street shooting without a permit." I keep asking her why since getting one is a non-issue. Then as we discuss the sceene it's clear we can't get one since we don't need it. They won't issue you a permit if you don't fit the requirements for needing one.

In my experience 99% of permit discussions are misinformation.

I will agree with anyone who wants to argue that non-NYPD peace officers are in general a problem from being uninformed about laws they try to enforce and very incapable of common sense behavior and judgment.

Breckhimer gets stopped periodically and as far as I know he's never had any problems and he's flat out breaking the law, not violating a permit requirement.

In the end, if you're considerate of the people around you in NYC, no one really cares what you do.