Login with facebook

New Contest for still life & landscapes

useravatar
PKM IMAGES
Photographer
Glendale, California
1390 Posts

Top New Contest for still life & landscapes

After some discussions with other model insider members, they were asking me about a non-model contest for landscapes and still life only. It sounded like a good idea, it would promote other photographer's skills.  So I purpose to the whole Mi membership to give their views on this. Would you like a contest for landscapes & still life only ? roll 

Let the magic begin...
http://www.pkmimages.com

I am a Team Insider member, please feel free to PM me. Support all the contests by voting or by entering..

useravatar
ChristerArt
Photographer
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK
33 Posts

Top Re: New Contest for still life & landscapes

Sure, why not...=*^)

I am sure there are quite a few out there who do *other* stuff besides nekkid - or less nekkid - images...

Christer

useravatar
Curtis Wood
Photographer
Logan, Utah
1637 Posts

-I am re-posting this from John Deardorff's blog to enter it as a point of discussion here on Kim's thread.

-I am agreeing with Photons 2 Pixels here. Currently if we split the contests into several categories, the entries would be minimal at best. Implieds are probably the next most viable one to do. If we did a non-model contest at this point, judging from the feedback, we may have 2 entrants possibly three. A split of the contests at this point does not seem feasible. Nor does the creation of another contest.

-Another alternative that has been presented is a theme day. ie: Glamour, landscape, b&w, animals, avian, implied, fashion, bodypaint, bondage, retro, pin-up, etc.

feedback?

:-)

Super calloused Fragile mystic Hexed by halitosis
Mary Poppins, I ain't!

TeamInsider member - PM me if you have any questions or visit us in the chat.

useravatar
Deardorff Photography
Photographer
Charlotte, North Carolina
853 Posts

Curt makes good points on this.

Beauty beheld is beauty never lost
- John Greenleaf Whittier
--------------------------------------------------
Team Insider member and Contest Administrator - get in touch if you have questions/comments

useravatar
Rich
Photographer
Gulf Breeze, Florida
31 Posts

I live in an area of Florida that is beautiful.  I couldn't keep from shooting landscapes and other things in this local area.  I'm not sure that I would want to participate in a daily contest to show my work.  I'm not sure what's in it for me and I certainly don't mean money!

useravatar
Jon Gilchrist
Photographer
South Bend, Indiana
69 Posts

There may be more entries to a non-model contest than you think.  I haven't posted or entered any non-model images because this is primarily a model site.  But if you had a non-model contest, I'd enter.

useravatar
Curtis Wood
Photographer
Logan, Utah
1637 Posts

-anyone else with input either for non-model contests or against?

Super calloused Fragile mystic Hexed by halitosis
Mary Poppins, I ain't!

TeamInsider member - PM me if you have any questions or visit us in the chat.

useravatar
3B
Photographer
71 Posts

Curtis Wood wrote:

-I am re-posting this from John Deardorff's blog to enter it as a point of discussion here on Kim's thread.

-I am agreeing with Photons 2 Pixels here. Currently if we split the contests into several categories, the entries would be minimal at best. Implieds are probably the next most viable one to do. If we did a non-model contest at this point, judging from the feedback, we may have 2 entrants possibly three. A split of the contests at this point does not seem feasible. Nor does the creation of another contest.

-Another alternative that has been presented is a theme day. ie: Glamour, landscape, b&w, animals, avian, implied, fashion, bodypaint, bondage, retro, pin-up, etc.

feedback?

I agree with you on this one for the most part.

As for the implied nude possibility, the current POTD contest is usually anywhere from 25-60 percent (sometimes even more) implied nudity so based on that if you create an "Implied POTD" contest you will just end up with two contest with minimal entries.  This opinion is based on the most recent POTD contests I viewed but I would expect it to hold true for the POTD as a whole.

Until contest participation increases a bit, it's my view that creating a still life/landscape contest would serve the site in a more productive manner.

"Those who can do.  Those who can't view.   Those unable to find pleasure in the former or the latter become reformation activists, union organizers and agents."

--- 3 Bees  2012

useravatar
GeM Photographic
Photographer
Wheeling, Illinois
251 Posts

A contest for non-model photography could also start as a once a week and then become more frequent as the number of entries increases. My 2c

useravatar
Maso-Arts
Photographer
Cincinnati, Ohio
38 Posts

I would love to see a non-model contest or two.

Let's go take some pictures.

useravatar
Lumigraphics
Photographer
Lansing, Michigan
749 Posts

I'd love to see a daily contest for non-model photography, of any genre- nature, landscape, macro, still life, architecture, etc. I still shoot a lot of landscape work and would love to see what other members do besides work with models.

The only drawback I see is that models and MUAs wouldn't be a part of it; but then again, they could always pick up a camera! Its much easier to get started with landscapes than with models.

useravatar
John Rayner
Photographer
Rapid City, South Dakota
1325 Posts

I have a thousand times more shots of other things besides models/people. One does not need a release to post a shot of a flower. I would enter that competition much more readily.

useravatar
jwb imagery
Photographer
Hot Springs, Arkansas
183 Posts

All for it as you know.  But an inquiry where does this suggestion put things such as butteryflys, lions, kittens, puppies, birds, spiders, snakes, and other animate living beings?     

useravatar
Portfolio Plus
Photographer
Jacksonville, Florida
210 Posts

PP thinks you should include models in your photos on a modeling site.

If you want to promote your landscapes put a link to your website on your main page.

useravatar
Lumigraphics
Photographer
Lansing, Michigan
749 Posts

I think inclusive is better than exclusive. Many of us make money and professional contacts by shooting things other than models- this would be a great way to maximize that networking. I have a paid gig tomorrow shooting pictures of lighting at a carwash. Hopefully the client will like my work and think of me if he has other building installations to shoot, but also will ask if he needs product shots, promotional images with models, instructional photos, event photography, etc.

And hopefully we help each other out- if someone has a client who loves lighthouse photos, I'd love a referral because "Oh I know a guy in Michigan who shoots lighthouses."

My vote is 100% for this. And to answer the earlier question, yes it would include nature, plants, animals- basically anything that ISN'T a person.

useravatar
PKM IMAGES
Photographer
Glendale, California
1390 Posts

Please use the vote poll at the top of the page, if you want a non-model contest. This contest would include still life, animals, flowers, landscapes, cars, etc. that does not include a model.

Let the magic begin...

I am a Team Insider member, please feel free to PM me. Support all the contests by voting or by entering..

useravatar
John Rayner
Photographer
Rapid City, South Dakota
1325 Posts

I voted in favor of a non-model contest. Photographers do shoot other subjects besides nakid models.

useravatar
Portfolio Plus
Photographer
Jacksonville, Florida
210 Posts

And there are plenty of sites out there for non modeling photography.

If you want to draw models to a new site, which has been a problem here, having them lurk to see photo contests without models is a sure way of getting them to not join, or not stay long when they do.

Why don't we have a pottery contest, or origami, or maybe even shadow puppets?

PP appreciates models and thinks it's a slap in their face to be having non model contests.

useravatar
PKM IMAGES
Photographer
Glendale, California
1390 Posts

Yes, everybody here has good valid points. roll  The site admins will have the final decision if this will happen. One way or the other, there's always going to be someone  that won't be happy with the decision. Thank you for giving your views on this hot topic.

Let the magic begin...

useravatar
Terry Breedlove
Photographer
Forks, Washington
95 Posts

Is this site for models only or are photographers welcome ?  As a photographer I have many interest that I love to shoot.

useravatar
Portfolio Plus
Photographer
Jacksonville, Florida
210 Posts

It hasn't been for models hardly at all recently Terry, that's why I'm pushing to get more here rather than giving them more reasons to stay away.

I don't see how becoming "Photographer Insider" with a category for models is gonna make them feel special enough to join.

useravatar
Terry Breedlove
Photographer
Forks, Washington
95 Posts

Well I certainly understand we need to attract more models but I can not fathom how a non modeling contest will scare them off.

useravatar
Portfolio Plus
Photographer
Jacksonville, Florida
210 Posts

It's a whole lot easier for me to understand how promoting activities which exclude models would keep them away than it is for me to understand how promoting activities which exclude them will bring them in.

useravatar
SLE Photography
Photographer
Arnold, Maryland
Site Host
2562 Posts

Portfolio Plus wrote:

It hasn't been for models hardly at all recently Terry, that's why I'm pushing to get more here rather than giving them more reasons to stay away.

I don't see how becoming "Photographer Insider" with a category for models is gonna make them feel special enough to join.

My feeling is that having more photographers here means there're more people to post castings & hire models, which means more of them (models) will join.

I am a Model Insider site admin, please feel free to PM me with any site related issues, or for faster response contact our team via the Helpdesk

James Glendinning / SilverLight Esoterica Photography / SLE Photography

useravatar
Joe Fogg Photography
Photographer
Des Moines, Iowa
254 Posts

I'm not trying to stir the pot but all the input here that i have seen so far is from photogs before i vote I would like to hear from the model's and mua's on what they think.

http://www.joefogg.com
Your Best Image Is My Only Goal